As many parts are of the world are coming out of “The Great Pause”, they enter the next phase. I am going to call this, “The Great Acceleration”. Businesses are restarting very soon in these areas. However, things will probably be different for them post-pandemic. Here are three topics I discuss in this video.
“The Great Acceleration”
Here are my answers to the three questions that I was asked recently while interviewed on a morning television show:V
1) How has networking changed forever after the last year that we experienced?
The technology that exists today saved a lot of businesses all around the world. We learned, during the past year, that we can network online almost as well as we did in person. I do not believe networking has changed forever. It will take time to re-adjust. However, I think that a few years from now, the world will look very much like it did before 2020.
2) Will face-to-face networking ever be a thing again?
Because of evolving technology, I believe business networking will become a hybrid of online and face-to-face. Online networking helped to keep old friends and business contacts connected last year. Online networking is more convenient. However, it lacks the ability to make a personal connection and you’re not able to read body language as well.
Someday, when we have the technology, we might have mixed-reality meetings or holographic meetings. If so, I want to be Obi-Wan Kenobi.
3) In the meantime, what can people do to make their career and business networking more impactful?
- Use “Breakout Rooms” when you’re networking online with a large group to have deeper conversations with a couple of the attendees.
- When having an online one-to-one, have food or beverages delivered to the other person ahead of time to share together while apart during your online meeting.
- Use the G.A.I.N.S. exchange to share your goals, accomplishments, interests, networks, and skills. Plus, have a meaningful conversation.
Today, more than ever, you need your network. You need people around you to help and support you. Givers Gain® is a powerful philosophy that is focused on cooperation and collaboration. It’s an approach that involves helping other people over time, and by helping them, they will help you in return. Your network can help you weather almost any storm. You can get frozen by fear, or focused by fear. During “The Great Acceleration”, your “hybrid” networking is your beacon of hope in a sea of fear.