A while back, I was one of the featured speakers at a conference for small business owners and one of the other speakers offered a list of things that all business owners must have in place in order to truly be in business and position themselves for success. The speaker said, “If you don’t have all these things in place, you’re not really in business!”
This really stuck with me because there is a lot of validity to it. With all the responsibilities of being a business owner, sometimes circumstances can get over whelming and some of the key things that should be in place to truly be in business tend to get pushed aside for “when there’s more time” (which will never happen) or get forgotten.
Below is the list given by the speaker. These are the things which all serious business owners must have in place in order to truly be in business and position themselves for success:
- I have business cards for myself and my team.
- I have a distinct phone line specifically for my business.
- I have a registered domain.
- I have a current website.
- I have an e-mail that corresponds with my business domain.
- I have a dedicated office or business space (even if it is home-based).
- I know what my target market is.
- I have a contact database system in place to communicate with my prospects.
As obvious as this list seems, half the participants at that conference did not meet all the requirements. I spoke to the same group of people again during another event, however, and I’m pleased to report that virtually all of the participants this time around met the above requirements (and more).
So here’s my question for you . . . Are YOU truly serious about being in business? For those of you who can answer ‘yes’ to that question, what would you add to this list, if anything? I’d love to hear your thoughts–please share them in the comment forum below. Thanks!