The law of reciprocity is always working, and it even has an impact on our conversations when we’re networking. If you want someone to ask you a specific question, ask her the same question first. She’ll think, “that’s a great question.” After she answers, she’ll probably ask you the same question in return. (If she doesn’t, she might be an “all about me” person–someone you want to avoid.)
Here are 10 great questions to ask someone while networking that are then likely to be asked of you in return.
1. What do you do?
2. Who’s your target market?
3. What do you like most about what you do?
4. What’s new in your business?
5. What’s the biggest challenge for you and your business?
6. What sets you apart from your competition?
7. Why did you start your business?
8. Where is your business located?
9. What’s your most popular product?
10. How do you generate most of your business?
Before attending your next networking function, think about what you want other people to ask you. To get the most out of the law of reciprocity, take the initiative and ask those questions of each person you meet.