Paul Furlong shares his networking tips in this video.
Most people are disappointed with their networking results at networking events because they did not have a clear strategy for how they were going to be networking. Paul Furlong, BNI Director Consultant, shares his networking strategy questions:
There are so many different networking events. It is important to decide which ones should attend. Use the following questions to help you to decide which events to attend.
- Why do you want to go to networking events?
- How are you going to network?
- What are you going to do to build the relationships with those you meet at the networking event?
- Do you know the type of businesses are you wanting to network with?
- What networking events do these businesses you want to meet attending?
Now that you have decided which event to attend, here are a few tips on how to network at the event.
- Ask the host for a list of who is attending to determine who to approach.
- Determine if they are in it for the long term relationship you desire or if they are only transactional when you meet them.
- Be prepared to network with your business cards, brochure, and appointment calendar.
- Talk as little as you can about your business and ask them what is currently happening in their work.
- Share a succinct story if asked about how you help others and share who are your ideal referrals.
- Schedule a second meeting to follow-up and learn more about each other.
- Send an email after the event to confirm the second meeting and thank them for meeting with you.
Rule the World
Great story-telling is essential to effectively communicate your ideas in order to inspire and influence your audience. In this show, Paul Furlong, Creative Director at Opus Media, deconstructs world-class story-tellers from all echelons of society. Digging deep, Paul attempts to find the recurring and unique principles they use to help you make your stories more engaging and better communicate your ideas to stimulate your audience to take action.